Saturday, February 6, 2010

The truth about brands

A brand is one of the most important things a company can own, and yet many people with new businesses that know almost nothing about them. Here is what I learned on my part, deadly painful part, but not to happiness.

Trademarks are the phrases, names and logos. The most important thing to mark is usually the name of your company. If you have not already done, do it immediately, it only costs a few hundred dollars to do it myself. You can see if it is likelyConflicts through the search for the Patent and Trademark Office's website on the first link below. An entrepreneur is, this is a page you go to to know quite well over time, believe me.

File for the trademark for the name of your company alone. If you have a great logo, you can file for that too - but if you filed you change your logo, then it is not good, so I for the name itself, without a special logo always file. File on your slogan, too, of course, if it is good and important,and the main product names that you have. Several hundred dollars you save now or later, millions of bankruptcy.

I do not save the brand myself and the lawyers' submissions, but I'm in this for a while.

Vs TM (R)

Most people do not know exactly what and mean TM (R). TM simply means that you claim rights in the mark. They have not used with the Trademark Office file to TM. If and when your brand is officially registered with the Trademark Office, you can thenthe federal registration symbol - (R). There is no reason not to start with TM immediately filed without anything researched or availability. Many people think TM means that the brand, it looks good to them, and those who do not know the difference, it looks more like you know what you are doing.

The Trademark Office's FAQ URL is listed at the end of this article.

My Close Call

I have a product. I have the domain name in 2005, and not to the fileBrand, since I did not think that someone else would. Last year I finally do so. My application was rejected in an "Office Action." Ouch! The examiner cited the likelihood of confusion with another mark, which had been filed after I my domain name. Doh!

At that point I had three choices:

1. Against the rejection.
2. Let us leave the brand and continue to sell without it.
3. Change the name and try again with a new application.

Changing the name would mean coming upwith a new name, domain name, logo, new graphics in your application, etc., etc. I would also lose the brand awareness built up and then I Google the four years of history, I would lose. Because Google is based in part on how old your site is, the higher the site the less likely that you found someone do a search on your site in context. Plus I'm just too stubborn to change the name, so this option was out.

I could not remember the brand, and just keep the name and hope no one camebehind me. But what if a few years ago, I received a letter from some lawyer stating that I had intentionally violated trademarks of their customers? I could not ignorance, since I had been submitted and rejected. This could easily drive me out of business.

I thought I had no choice but to reject the complaint. I have an interesting advisor who knows not a lawyer, trademark and disembarking. He had his own horror story, from which he learned to know what is, perhaps,about brands. I took it, and over a few months (you have six months time to appeal), we worked together on the answer.

I was pretty good when I submitted the reply. I have to say to the Board on a Tuesday and on Wednesday morning, the auditors considered that if I would accept a slight change in the description of the brand that I hope in my vocation proposed that they would be in order. I was thrilled! She had previously mentioned to me "several reasons for the rejection," so I wassurprised to get it lifted overnight.

I was not out of the woods just yet, though. Their trademark was now "will be released for publication." This meant that three weeks from now will mark the potential opposition will be published in the Official Journal. Because anyone who believes that the brand would be based on an existing thirty days to either reject or ask for an extension of time to object would be violated.

If someone against your brand, it's basically a federal suit in whichYou are the defendant, and that is the big leagues. You are in it for at least ten thousand dollars, and easy millions.

Contradictions are not so rare, so did every day during the thirty days Opposition window I looked at my mail and Trademark Office Web site to see if I was against. Luckily I was not, and my name is (R) according to this principle. However, the brands are not always. Just like everyone else can sue at any time, but you're much better off with an identification whichregistered.

Trademark Search:
http://www.uspto.gov.

FAQ:
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/tmfaq.htm

Thanks To : cheap lg lcd tv review

0 comments: